Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thursday- Physical DeClutter

Well, it's official. I registered for my first 5K...www.thedirtydash.com. I am definitely not a runner. Never have been, don't think I ever will be. One time I ran to the car to race my kids and all their mouths dropped because they had never seen me run before. Sad huh? Most of my sisters and bros-in-law are runners. They are always asking/encouraging me to do a 5K or anything to get off my butt. So, I decided, if I'm gonna run a 5K...it needs to be a FUN one. Of course, I chose the Dirty Dash where you get to run in MUD. My hubby and 2 oldest kids are going to do it with me too. I'm VERY excited but VERY nervous. Now, I need to get off my butt and get training. I'm doing a 30 day EXERCISE challenge in March to get started. I'm on day 8 and already feel better.  Here are some great tips for preparing for your first 5K........

One Step at a Time

Start from where you are, rather than where you want to be. Avoid crying, like I did, by starting from your current fitness level. Running too much too soon is the number one reason most newbie runners quit.
If you are new to running, begin with sprinkling in running with mostly walking. This allows your body, mind and spirit time to adapt to the demands of running and it makes for a very enjoyable running experience. It will also allow you to run a bit farther.
Always begin with a walking warm-up of five minutes to prepare your body for the run ahead. Finish with a walking cool down to bring your body back to reality.
For the running workout, start with 30 seconds to one minute of running and follow with at least double the time power-walking -- 1-3 minutes, or until you catch your breath. Progress little by little, adding more running to the mix and less walking.
Focus on going farther, not harder. Include no more than three runs per week and alternate run days with rest or cross-training activities (cycling, swimming, yoga, etc.) to allow your body to adapt and recover run to run. Before you know it, you will be running 30 minutes at a time with a smile on your face!
Food is Fuel
You are what you eat. Your workouts are fueled by the food you eat every day. Keep a log of what you consume daily and it will give you a better perspective of what goes into your system.
If you are having trouble dropping the weight you wanted or just not feeling strong while running, it could have something to do with how you fuel your body day to day. Eat smaller, more frequent meals well balanced with fruits, veggies, lean protein and even fats too. Skipping meals is the quickest way to gain weight and decrease the performance of your next workout.
Think of your car and how it runs. If you run out of fuel, the car simply doesn't move. If you put dirty fuel into the tank or no fuel at all, the car won't run efficiently. Food is fuel and the ticket to your next strong running workout and recovery.

Here is an easy beginner 8 week schedule to train for your 5K. Adjust it to fit your own schedule!


1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Amy! I'm excited for your first 5k. I cant wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete